Replacing a Tooth with a Dental Implants San Antonio Changes Everything
One of the most common options to replace a missing tooth is with a dental implant.
Gone are the days of looking older than necessary because of a sagging jawline due to one or more missing teeth. (And dentures are no longer the only option!) Dental implants offer a permanent replacement for missing teeth and an effective solution that will look and feel as natural as your original teeth. And an implant may cost far less than you expect.
Dental implants are the real deal! Did you know that dental implants enhance your smile by giving you teeth that look, function, and feel like your natural teeth and last for many years to come? If you’ve been dealing with missing teeth, then now is the time to finally restore your smile and boost your confidence and oral health. Whether you’ve dealt with tooth loss from decay, an accident, or wear and tear – we love helping our patients restore missing teeth with successful, long-lasting dental implants.
What Happens When You Lose a Tooth?
When you lose a tooth, several physiological and functional changes occur, affecting both the immediate area of tooth loss and potentially other aspects of your oral health. Here are some of the common consequences of losing a tooth:
- Loss of Function:
- The most immediate and noticeable effect is a loss of function in the area where the tooth was. This can impact your ability to bite and chew properly, potentially leading to changes in your eating habits.
- Changes in Speech:
- Missing teeth can affect your speech, causing difficulties in pronunciation or altering the way certain words sound. This is particularly true if the missing tooth is in a prominent location.
- Shifting of Adjacent Teeth:
- The teeth adjacent to the space left by the missing tooth may start to shift into the gap. This movement can result in misalignment and changes to your bite, potentially leading to issues like malocclusion.
- Bone Loss:
- The roots of the teeth play a crucial role in stimulating the underlying jawbone. When a tooth is lost, the lack of stimulation can lead to bone resorption (loss), affecting the density and volume of the jawbone over time.
- Aesthetic Changes:
- A missing tooth can impact your smile and facial aesthetics. Gaps in the teeth may affect your self-esteem and how you perceive your appearance.
- Gum Changes:
- The gum tissue around the area where the tooth is missing may undergo changes. It may recede, and the surrounding gums may become more susceptible to inflammation and infection.
- Difficulty in Oral Hygiene:
- Maintaining proper oral hygiene may become more challenging when a tooth is missing. The gap can trap food particles, and the shifted adjacent teeth may create spaces that are difficult to clean.
- Functional Imbalance:
- Losing a tooth can create an imbalance in the distribution of forces during biting and chewing. This can lead to increased stress on remaining teeth, potentially resulting in wear and tear.
- TMJ Issues:
- Changes in the alignment of teeth and the bite can contribute to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) issues, leading to symptoms such as jaw pain, headaches, and difficulty opening and closing the mouth.
- Psychological Impact:
- The loss of a tooth can have psychological and social effects, affecting self-confidence and interpersonal relationships. Individuals may feel self-conscious about smiling or speaking in public.
To address the consequences of tooth loss, various dental solutions are available at dental implants San Antonio, including dental implants, bridges, and dentures. Seeking timely dental care and discussing replacement options with a dentist can help mitigate the long-term effects of losing a tooth.
What Are Dental Implants and Their Advantages?
Made from titanium, dental implants act like artificial roots that can be permanently placed in the patient’s jaw bone to support a replacement tooth – often included in dental treatments with dental crowns, dentures, or bridges. As the gum tissue and bone grow around the dental implant, they become a permanent anchor. A natural-looking porcelain crown will be custom made giving our patients a beautifully finished result that is attractive, yet helps improve chewing, maintain bone and prevent teeth from changing positions. Implants are also the only option that can replace a tooth and prevent bone loss because those titanium roots act like natural tooth roots and promote new bone growth; they can even prevent future problems with a patient’s bite.
If you are a dental implant candidate, they also,
- Restore facial structure and youthful smile
- Feel and function just like your natural teeth
- Prevent teeth from shifting toward any gaps, which can alter your bite or facial structure
- Provide no eating restrictions
The Dental implant procedure is one of the most predictable and safest procedures in dentistry. They’re very durable and can last a lifetime if they are taken care of.
- GPS Dental Can Restore Your Tooth and Your Smile
- An Overview of Dental Implant Surgery from Mayo Clinic
- Read this Implant Overview by The American Dental Association
Replace a Tooth: Basics of Implants
Today’s modern science has created a wonderful solution for missing teeth that has a huge success rate – dental implants. So, what are they exactly?
Dental implants are devices consisting of small posts often made of titanium used to replace a tooth. These posts are replacements for natural tooth roots and will connect to an abutment, which is built on top of the implant post. The abutment allows the artificial tooth to be connected to the implant post. Three parts come together to create one naturally-looking, strong tooth created by the dental implants San Antonio experts.
Getting a dental implant requires a surgical procedure. Dr. Skrobanek will use a local anesthetic to make sure you’re pain free, and then the titanium implant will be placed into the jaw bone. Before the surgical procedure takes place, you will meet with your dental implants San Antonio dentist to come up with a personalized treatment plan that fits your needs.
Learn More: What to Know About Dental Implants
Replace a Tooth: Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have become a popular and widely preferred tooth replacement option due to several benefits and a high success rate. Here are some key reasons why dental implants are favored:
- Natural Appearance:
- Dental implants closely resemble natural teeth in both appearance and function. The crown, which is the visible part of the implant, is custom-made to match the color, shape, and size of surrounding teeth.
- Improved Functionality:
- Dental implants function like natural teeth, providing stability and strength for biting and chewing. This allows individuals to eat a wide variety of foods without the restrictions often associated with other tooth replacement options.
- Durability and Longevity:
- Dental implants are known for their durability and longevity. With proper care and maintenance, they can last for many years, often a lifetime, making them a cost-effective solution over the long term.
- Preservation of Jawbone:
- Unlike traditional bridges or dentures, dental implants stimulate the jawbone in a manner similar to natural tooth roots. This helps prevent bone loss and maintains the integrity of the jawbone structure.
- Adjacent Tooth Preservation:
- Dental implants do not rely on adjacent teeth for support, as is the case with dental bridges. This means that neighboring healthy teeth are not altered or compromised to accommodate the implant.
- Improved Oral Health:
- Dental implants contribute to better oral health by filling the gap left by a missing tooth. They are easier to clean than some alternatives, and they don’t contribute to decay or damage of adjacent teeth.
- Comfort and Convenience:
- Dental implants become a permanent part of the jawbone, providing a stable and comfortable foundation. Unlike removable dentures, there is no risk of slippage or discomfort during speaking or eating.
- Enhanced Speech:
- Ill-fitting dentures or gaps from missing teeth can affect speech. Dental implants provide a stable and natural-feeling foundation, contributing to improved speech clarity.
- High Success Rate:
- Dental implant surgery has a high success rate when performed by a skilled and experienced dental professional. With proper care and maintenance, the success rate of dental implants is typically over 95%.
- Aesthetic Confidence:
- Dental implants can restore a person’s smile and facial aesthetics, enhancing self-confidence and overall well-being. The natural-looking results contribute to a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
While dental implants offer numerous benefits, it’s essential to note that not everyone is a suitable candidate for implant surgery. Factors such as overall health, jawbone density, and oral hygiene play a role in determining eligibility. Consulting with your dental implants San Antonio specialists is crucial for a comprehensive evaluation and personalized treatment plan.
Learn more about why this popular treatment to replace a tooth is so successful through some of our blogs:
- Replace a Tooth: What You Need to Know About Dental Implants
- Smile: Dental Implant Tooth Replacement Can Restore Your Missing Tooth
Are You a Good Dental Implant Candidate?
If dental implants sound like a good option for you, it’s helpful to know if you may be considered a candidate for them. You and your dental implant Independence dentists will discuss this in more detail, but here are some of the basics:
- Healthy enough for surgery with good oral health hygiene habits
- Right amount of bone mass for the implants
- Teeth and gums are in good standing health
- Patience for the process, it can take some time to be fully completed and willing to invest the time for dental implants – which can take multiple appointments
- A non-smoker or willing to stop smoking
These are common signs that your dental implants Independence dentists will look for when considering if you’re a good dental implant candidate.
Customized Restorative Dentistry that is Best for YOU
If you are interested in tooth replacement, it’s a good idea to discuss it carefully with Dr. Skrobanek and your dental implants San Antonio dental team first. If you are in good general health, one of these tooth replacement options, dentures, bridges, or dental implants, should be a good fit for you. In fact, your health is more of a factor than your age. Chronic illnesses, such as diabetes or leukemia, may interfere with healing and patients with these issues may not be good candidates for certain replacement options. Remember, using tobacco can also slow healing, regardless of which type of treatment you decide on.
Schedule a consultation with your dental implants San Antonio expert at GPS Dental to see if you are a dental implant candidate for our implant technology. It might be the perfect remedy to preserve a youthful appearance and restore the function of your bite.
Dr. Gary P. Skrobanek’s experienced and friendly team at GPS Dental offers affordable dental care for all ages in San Antonio, TX area. Our Brooks City Base dentist office is conveniently located and offers early morning appointment times Monday through Friday to meet your needs. At GPS Dental, we promote dental health awareness to our patients and provide most dental services, from family and general dentistry to dental implants, sleep apnea, TMJ / TMD Treatment, cosmetic dentistry and much more. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Call us at 210-633-3477 to make an appointment.